- 2 onions, diced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 rindless bacon slices (390g), sliced thinly
- 440 gram button mushrooms
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 8 kilogram whole chicken
- 2 cup (500ml) dry red wine
- 2 medium carrots (240g), chopped coarsely
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup (35g) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoon water
Heat half the oil in a large frying pan; cook onions, stirring, until browned all over, remove from pan. Add bacon, mushrooms and garlic to same pan;
cook, stirring, until bacon is crisp, remove from pan.
Cut chicken into 12 pieces. Heat remaining oil in same pan; cook chicken, in batches, until browned all over; drain on paper towel. Add wine to same pan; bring to the boil, stirring.
Place chicken in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker with onions, bacon and mushroom mixture, carrot, herbs, stock, wine mixture and paste. Cook, covered, on low, about 7 hours.
Stir in blended cornflour and the water; cook, covered, on high, for 20 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Season to taste